Sunday, May 13, 2012

Yoga or Pilates?

I decided on Friday to try out some yoga. At my other gym I had taken a couple a Pilates classes. I enjoyed the classes but felt a little out of place since I had never done that before. Fridays yoga class was just as strange. The movements were hard for me to do, and I felt awkward. I think going to the classes will help me with flexibility! Just wondering what others prefer?

Also on Friday I took a muscle class which felt great! I hadn't really done a whole lot of lifting and figured I should work that in. I cannot even tell you how sore I was on Saturday! This was not good as it was a run day! Bahhhh. I woke up around 10 and was starving! After a quick google search about what I should eat before I went downstairs and had some toast with peanut butter. I waited about an hour half before I went out on my run.

The weather was overcast when I started. I set up my run app, got the music going, and was off! The first part of my run was downhill. I felt good as I made it a mile again! I didn't stop exactly at one mile! My app on the phone is hard to operate so I wasn't sure how long my first run was. I'm afraid to get a watch because I know I will keep looking at it. Since I was so sore I decided to take a different route but still do 3 miles. This run was not as hilly. I ran 3.22 miles in 48:58 with a pace of 15:11. Consistent with what I ran with Cori on Thursday! I was so sore after this run,but I think it had to do with the fact that I had taken the muscle class the day before.

A few questions I have after...
-what are good things to eat before a run and after? Any set time I should wait after eating? If I know I have a run to do is it wise to take a muscle class before the run?

So far I have kept to my workout schedule for the week! I didn't make it to my class today because tennis didn't get done it time and I played for 2+ hours and was exhausted! Tomorrow I am going to take a kickboxing class with a run scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Molly- Check out your Kindle app; I bought a great new book which summarizes a lot of the most recent exercise research and recommendations. Very readable format broken into a number of sections which answer a number of your questions. The First 20 Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can: Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer
    written by Gretchen Reynolds who is a NYT 'physical fitness' columnist. See http://www.amazon.com/The-First-20-Minutes-Surprising/dp/1594630933

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's what the book says about your question:

    Pilates, an elaborate series of body-weight exercises developed decades ago by the German bodybuilder and gymnast Joseph Pilates, also has scientific backing as a strength training alternative. In one study, eight weeks of Pilates training resulted in significant increases in leg and back strength among a group of middle-aged women who’d never practiced strength training before.

    If you choose Pilates, yoga, or any method of strength training, however, and you’re unfamiliar with proper form, seek out a qualified instructor. Ask about credentials, Dr. McGill says. And stop if any of the exercises or poses hurt. “I know plenty of yoga practitioners who’ve ruined their backs,” he says. Be prudent. Start slow.

    Reynolds, Gretchen (2012-04-26). The First 20 Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can: Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer (Kindle Locations 2378-2383). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best time to eat is around 30 minutes or so before you being to exercise. The best snacks to choose are ones that will combine carbs with protein- this will make you feel energized and full. The point to remember though is this is a SNACK NOT a meal... so you don't need much.

    Ideas: half a bagel, one piece of whole wheat toast, almond butter, a small serving of cottage cheese, one large banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter (maybe on the half bagel or piece of wheat toast), a one hundred calorie pack of almonds..

    Other less "fresh" options are energy bars with about 25-40 grams of carbs and about 10 g of protein. Calories should NOT exceed 200ish on these. Don't drink any caffeinated or warm beverages beforehand (they'll make you have to potty quickly :)).

    You should also make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day to prevent dehydration and avoid high calorie snacks because you may end up consuming more than you planned to and you won't burn it off.

    When you are done working out you need to consume protein. Eggs, lean meats, some nuts, peanut butter, a protein shake, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome progress! Classes seem like a great workout alternative for you! And amazing workouts themselves! I like to have a banana before I run at work - but not too close or I feel full! Half would prob do trick.
    I haven't done either really (yoga/Pilates) so you'll have to give ME the verdict :-)

    ReplyDelete