Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My First Solo Run/Walk

Well folks, I completed my first solo run/walk!! Wahoooooooooo! This run took place on Monday! After getting home from work and relaxing (my eyelids were so heavy!) I mustered up the energy, got dressed, and set out! Before my workout even started I saw a co-worker of mine finishing her run and chatted with her for about 10 mins. She gave me advice on a good 3 mile route to go on. I was off!

The first part of my run was down a hill. It felt amazing! I was going at a good speed. I am not sure how long I ran for but I feel like I made it a good distance. After walking for a few minutes I started to run again and got to a big hill! It was my intention to make it up the hill! This was a big hill and I made it a 1/3 of the way. At least I attempted it!!

Most of my run was uphill then down then uphill then down. During my first run with Cori it was flat! This was definitely a change!

I used the app Map My Run so I could track where I went and how far! Every mile the nice lady would updated me about how far I had gone and my pace. After the first mile I had a 20 min pace! Don't worry, I didn't run that slow! As I stated before I was talking to a friend while the app was running. After each mile I noticed that my pace was going down! This felt good to know that I was still working even toward the end!

Overall I ended up doing 4.16 miles! HOLY MOLY! My thoughts exactly! I honestly had not planned to go that far! I was amazed! After the run I felt tired but also good! I was so happy and impressed! Here is a picture of the run I took!


(I will insert picture later...couldn't figure out how to work it :( )



Compared to my first run I felt better! With my first run I felt like I ran shorter amounts, walked shorter, then ran again. I was super tired after that one. I am not sure if it was because I was walking less in between or the heat. With this run I recovered more in between the runs, but felt after more recovery I was able to run more and with more pace. For you runners out there, is there a better way? Run shorter, walk shorter so you get more "runs". Or is it better to run longer, walk longer so you have less actually run times but run longer and a bit faster. Thoughts?


Yesterday I continued my exercise! I went to a cardio muscle class at the Y which was a combination of muscle work and cardio. We listened to 80's music the whole time! This was my first class and I really enjoyed it! After the Y I went straight to playing tennis! Another great workout!

Today is going to be a rest day. I am so exhausted from work and being super busy! Here is my plan for the rest of the week!
Thursday-run with Cori
Friday-Class at the Y
Saturday-run
Sunday-Class at the Y/tennis
Monday-run
Tuesday-Class at the Y or run

Hope everyone is having a great week!

3 comments:

  1. Great Job Molly! Run/Walk it doesn't matter. The starting and stopping is a great way to build strength and endurance (interval training). Getting that heart rate up and then recovering and repeating is very beneficial! When you add 80's music to anything it gets even better lol! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up molls! Great job! When i started intervals, I would try to increase length of running and decrease recovery (slowly). Less recovery time, harder, but better workout! Might be why second time didn't seem as hard? Longer recovery time? Its a lot of trial and error - doing great. I like the schedule too!

    ReplyDelete