Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It's time to "Take out the trash"

Ash Wednesday is upon us and it is time to reveal what I have decided to give up for Lent.

First off, I looked up the time of mass at school and thought it was for 6:30. Little did I know that this was the mass time for a church in CA. After arriving at the church and realizing I had the wrong time I sat in the parking lot for a bit. I decided that if I went home then there was a good chance that I wouldn't make it back!

The priest tonight talked about Lent being a time to "take out the trash" or get rid of all the sinning we have done over the past year. I could really relate to this. He also talked about what we would be giving up. The priest asked us to think about this, is the thing we are going to give up going to make us a better person after or the same. He talked about someone giving up alcohol. If that person stops drinking for 40 days are they going to be a different person after or the same grumpy one. What's the point of giving something up if we are just going to be the same after? Lent ti s a time to learn and grow into someone we want to be!!! I really enjoyed listening to the priest tonight. I thought he had a great message and I was able to relate to it!

With that being said I have decided to do two things during lent. First, I am going to give up drinking! I figured this was a great way to not have unwanted calories on my plan. Second, I am going to volunteer during this time. When I was on a wine tour (ha ha) a few weeks ago, I met a a guy who works for a nonprofit organization called "Playworks." This local organization works with local schools to provide recess games and after school programs. I found it very interesting!!!! I love PE and kids so I think this will be a great chance to give back to others. A few weeks ago I emailed the organization. I recently received an email asking to set up a meeting for find some opportunities to volunteer.

All in all it was a great day!! I am excited about the next few weeks and to keep up with my Lent promises!!

The plan has been good this week!! Feeling back on track :) Went to bosu ball class last night and am going to attempt a 5:45 am class!!!! Hopefully I can make it!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Inspiring post Molls! So happy its going well, keep it up and good luck with lent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Molly! I liked your priest's perspective on Lent too:)

    ReplyDelete